Here are the questions I am asking each of the interviewees:
1. Tell me about the science phase of your career. (Why did you originally decide to pursue a career in science? Do you have a favorite scientist or area of research? Has there been anyone who served as a role model or mentor for you?)
2. Tell me about your career transition from science research into industry. (Why did you decide to pursue a career in industry/engineering? Was there any particular person or event that served as an impetus to make this transition?)
3. How would you compare the disciplines of science and engineering? Do you perceive any differences in how scientists and engineers view the world or approach problems?
4. What is the biggest achievement in your career to date? What are the top three skills or attributes that enabled this achievement? Did your science training contribute in any way?
5. Are there any other ways that you feel a science education prepares one for a career in industry?
6. Are there specific roles in an industrial environment that you feel are well suited to a science education?
7. How do you sell yourself and your skills to a potential employer?
8. Are there aspects of the transition to industry that have presented challenges? Were there areas where you didn’t feel well prepared?
9. What do you know now that you wish you would have known sooner? How has your perspective changed since you ventured into industry?
10. What have been the most rewarding aspects of your career to date? To what do you attribute your success? What keeps you motivated in your career?
11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
12. Do you have any favorite books or other resources that you would recommend? If they were particularly useful, can you elaborate with some specific examples?
13. Do you have a saying or quote that you particularly like?
14. Is there anything else you want to share? Anything that you think may help a fellow scientist who is considering a career in industry?
-END OF FORMAL INTERVIEW –
Who do you think would be interested in the information we are discussing, i.e. who would buy the book?
What would you suggest as a good title for the book?
Who else would you recommend I interview for this project?